For me the advantages of the subject are:
- The price. To go to the Dominican Republic -Punta Cana- from Dublin or Madrid we found nothing below 750 euros, only on plane tickets. However, the All Inclusive we found came out for 715 euros per person, commissions and expenses included. For that price we think that the quality of the hotel - although advertised as 5 stars on the web - and its food or service could leave much to be desired. We were very wrong. The best I have seen, although it is also true that the backpacking life has not led me to know too many hotels of category -one or none rather- but my friends -something more showers in this subject- approved it with note.
- The comfort. Knowing that you do not have to worry about topics such as where to eat or dine, how to get around and even other details such as excursions and others that you can organize with the hotel staff, are important assets for many people who are looking for a relaxing holiday without major problems.
- The microclimate of the hotel. This characteristic can be on both the positive and negative sides. If you are lucky you can coincide with groups of beautiful people and on your own wavelength in the hotel. Being the place where people spend most of their vacations, you can get together with people of your style and tastes and spend a good holiday of laughter, sports, excursions and whatever comes with them. On the other hand, you may not be so lucky and do not connect with anyone, which will make the holidays much more boring unless you move and leave the place.
At negative side.
- Laziness. In a place like Punta Cana, if you want to leave the resort and find your life on your own, it is not so easy. The whole area is designed for All-Inclusive tourism and just to get out of the big complexes and get to the town you need to take a taxi or a motoconcha (common name for motorcycles there). The rental of your own car is a valid alternative, although the state of the roads and the circulatory chaos do not make it very attractive if you want to be quiet. For the organization of departures and excursions of one or several days the hotel will offer you different more expensive alternatives than you would on your own, but not much more than the independent operators that will come to catch you at the beach and others. Doing everything on your own should be cheaper but you will find many logistic problems for it.
- Feeling of the sheep. Inevitable for a backpacker accustomed to going to his ball and looking for life. If you end up arranging an excursion with hotel people or beach collectors, you will always end up sharing the tour with a more or less large group of people who, like you, preferred to make it easier. That will make your freedom of movement reduced and you must comply with the schedules and itineraries set by the group, you will be the target of tourist shops and other things that I imagine we have all lived. Maybe the group you're going with is awesome, but it may also be the worst.
- Poor service quality. In this case - as I said - we had no complaints. Incredible hotel, unbeatable staff in terms of sympathy and service - although everything was done at a slower speed than in Europe, which did not bother me at all - exquisite food, tutippen drinks, etc ... etc. However, there are cases in which people complain about hotel food, service and so on. There is little you can do if this case occurs since you have already paid the entire package and there is no going back. You simply will not return to it. In my case, I am clear: I would return to it many times.
Well, that is an experience that I liked to try and that suited me well because I needed a break and the place was unbeatable. We also managed to combine both things a little and we went to the capital of the country on our own with a public bus. The truth is that with the heat it was and the great beach and life we had in the resort, it would have been best to stay there, but the traveler's curiosity is always carried inside even if you feel like a more relaxed holiday.
Good option for rest, beach and comfort.